|Region||Armidale Regional, Glen Innes Severn, Gunnedah, Gwydir, Inverell, Liverpool Plains, Moree Plains, Narrabri, Tamworth Regional, Tenterfield, Uralla and Walcha|
|Key industries:||Health care and social assistance, education and training, agriculture, forestry, fishing|
The New England and North West region lies on the border of Queensland, covering an area of 97,506 square kilometres. Landscapes in the region range from volcanic rainforest tablelands and cliffs in the east to the highly productive floodplains in the west.
The Government is investing in schools, hospitals and police stations to deliver better services in the region, as well as investment in roads and infrastructure to ensure smoother and safer connections.
Health and education infrastructure:
- continuing works at Lismore Hospital Redevelopment with $45.9 million allocated in 2018-19
- continuing works at Inverell Hospital with $21.0 million allocated in 2018-19. This includes an increase of the estimated total cost in 2018-19 to expand the scope of the project
- funding as part of the Rural Health Infrastructure Program to upgrade health facilities at Tenterfield
- funding for school upgrades including the Farrer Memorial Agricultural High School and the Armidale Secondary College,
- a new school for approximately 1,500 students from Armidale High School and Duval High School.
Roads and infrastructure investment in 2018-19 including:
- $26.7 million to commence construction of the Newell Highway heavy-duty pavement upgrade between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla
- $20.0 million to commence construction of the New England Highway upgrade at Bolivia Hill
- $18.1 million for the Keepit Dam Upgrade.
Protecting our communities:
- $3.4 million in 2018-19 to complete the Gunnedah Police Station.
- funding as part of the Stronger Country Communities Fund for the Viaduct Park Youth Creation Hub, Tamworth
- $1.8 million from the Regional Growth Environment and Tourism Fund to go towards the Astronomy Science Centre, Planetarium and Cafe in Tamworth.